Monday, July 26, 2010

is it you god?

Today Gideon and I toured the underground of Maastricht. They advertise them as caves to tourists, but they're really mines that are hundreds of years old with an interesting history. More information about them here. Pictures later, the internet connection at our hotel is crap.

Towards the end of the tour, the guide told us a story about some monks who tried to use a string to find their ways out, but the string snapped and they never made it. They were found with their fingertips worn off. The didn't realize it, but they were going round and round a column.

The guide left us in the dark for a couple minutes to experience how disorienting the complete darkness can be. There was some annoying girl who kept turning on the light on her watch, so I had to face the wall for the experience, but I did. I felt pulses in my eyes and saw a variety of lights and shapes that "weren't really there."

When we got above ground I asked Gideon if he saw anything. He told me he saw God. I was rather impressed and asked what does God look like. God looks like monsters with yellow eyes. They're the same monsters that live under his bed and he sometimes sees when we put him to bed. I had no idea there were monsters living underneath his bed! He never mentioned them before. Like owls, they sleep during the day and are awake at night. God sends them so Gideon can learn to be brave.

Again, I find myself in the position of wondering, is my kid really deep or is this something he saw on TV? He does have a history of claiming television experiences as his own. Of course I don't want to scar him for life with an unfounded plagiarism accusation. Especially when it comes to one's personal experience with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment